The Furphy Generations, Leading Agriculture
The word “Furphy” became part of our Australian vocabulary during the First World War and is directly linked to the Furphy family, one of our longest standing regional manufacturers.
Over their 150 years of operation in regional Victoria, five generations of Furphy family members have grown the business of J. Furphy & Sons from blacksmithing and wheel righting in the 1860’s to today’s diversified engineering group, including a specialised stainless steel tank manufacturing facility in Shepparton. Throughout the 150 years the focus has remained on supporting agricultural equipment and processing.
In the 1860’s the business made and repaired wheels and agricultural equipment, then in the 1880’s a foundry was established to produce harvesters, ploughs, graders and the legendary “water cart”. An engineering division was added to the business in the 1950’s to deliver sheet metal, fitting & machining support to the burgeoning Goulburn Valley food processing sector.
The 1980’s saw the separation from J. Furphy & Sons of Furphy Foundry which, although separate, remains owned and operated by a Furphy family member and remains based in Shepparton manufacturing urban infrastructure for customers across Australia. This decade also saw J. Furphy & Sons launch a new business division – Furphy Galvanizing – providing hot dip galvanizing services for the Goulburn Murray region.
Furphy Engineering is the larger of the two divisions of J. Furphy & Sons and has progressed into one of Australia’s foremost producers of custom made stainless steel tanks and vessels.
- Older Post
- Newer Post